Earn Your Adult Dog’s AKC CGC Certificate
The 10-Step Canine Good Citizen test is a non-competitive test for all dogs. The CGC award is a prerequisite for many therapy dog groups. Some homeowner’s companies are encouraging CGC testing, and an increasing number of apartments and condos require that dogs pass the CGC test.
Training classes are not required to pass the CGC test, however, they are recommended if your dog is not ready to perform the 10-steps listed below. You may attend any or all of the 6 classes offered.
The 10-steps your dog will be tested on are:
1. Accepting a friendly stranger. The dog will allow a friendly stranger to approach it and to speak to the handler.
2. Sitting politely for petting. The dog will allow a friendly stranger to pet it while it is out with its handler.
3. Appearance and grooming. The dog will permit someone to check its ears and front feet, as a groomer or veterinarian would do.
4. Out for a walk (walking on a loose lead). The dog will walk thru a short course on a loose lead.
5. Walking through a crowd. The dog can move politely in pedestrian traqffic and is under control.
6. Sit and Down on command and Staying in place. The dog will sit and down on command . The owner may choose the position, sit or down, for leaving the dog in the stay.
7. Coming when called. The dog will come when called by the handler.
8. Reaction to another dog. The dog can behave politely around other dogs.
9. Reaction to distraction. The dog will be presented with two distractions of the evaluators choice, such as dropping a chair.
10. Supervised separation. The evaluator will hold the dogs leash while the owner goes out of sight for 3 minutes.